FireScope Service Insight
Painless Service Dependency Discovery
FireScope Stratis offers a radically easier and more accurate method to map IT Service dependencies through its new dependency discovery capability. Competing approaches force users to run numerous scripts with Administrative privileges from their production infrastructure, which requires significant effort, potential risk and is prone to inaccuracies. FireScope has eliminated these challenges through an approach that passively listens to network activity via NetFlow, sFlow and port mirroring and automatically models application flows across web servers, application servers, databases and their dependencies.
This model is then used to automatically configure operationally realistic monitoring thresholds and dependencies, which eliminates false positives, event storms and enables IT to focus on only those events that are impacting users or the business.
From a single dashboard, you get visibility across user experiences, virtualization, storage, applications and down to environmentals on an enterprise-scale platform that self-adapts to changes in your infrastructure, enabling easy drill down from events to their root-cause and offering new insights on technology performance such as how customers are affected and the implications to the business.
- Map the dependencies of your critical services automatically, without the need to provide administrative privileges.
- Passively listens to application flows via NetFlow, sFlow and Port Mirroring, continually updating service maps as infrastructure changes take place.
- Automatically applies best practice monitoring across the entire service stack, from user experiences to applications, to virtual infrastructure and the underlying network.
- Correlates infrastructure events with their impact on business outcomes and user experiences to help you focus on the issues that matter most.
- Integration with Cherwell enables automatic population of Cherwell CMDB, automated Incident creation when service impacting events occur.
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) delivery offers dashboards on day one and no need to maintain dedicated infrastructure.
Make your CMDB Service Aware!
Cherwell CMDB and Incident Integration
While everyone recognizes that a CMDB provides enormous benefits to any organization, virtually no one has the time to manually populate a CMDB, much less keep up with the high pace of change in the modern, cloud-datacenter. FireScope’s native integration with Cherwell enables the solution to automatically populate Cherwell’s CMDB and seamlessly update this documentation as new service are deployed, VMs are decommissioned or other infrastructure changes are discovered. Finally, everyone in IT gets a consistent and highly accurate model of their critical services, and without adding to anyone’s workload
The combination of Cherwell Service Management™ software and FireScope Discovery and Dependency Mapping enables Cherwell customers to take advantage of IT service dependency mapping from within Cherwell Service Management. With service dependency mapping, your IT team can be more proactive and strategic by staying ahead of potential issues, planning more effectively for change, and optimizing the delivery of services the business relies on—without adding to anyone’s workload.
The Cherwell and FireScope partnership enables the combined technologies to automatically populate and update the Cherwell Service Management configuration management database (CMDB) as services are deployed, updated or retired—providing a consistent and highly accurate model of critical IT services, including:
- Better visibility across IT infrastructure, reducing the time between identification and resolution of service-impacting incidents.
- Accurate and relevant system-generated information, enabling more effective first time resolution when compared to often vague, user-reported issues such as “Email isn’t working.”
- Automated discovery, mapping, and configuration of best practice monitoring, enabling rapid implementation, while reducing the workload typically required to achieve effective service visibility.
- Improved communications across IT teams and fewer day-to-day workflow disruptions due to single-pane-of-glass visibility and reduced reliance on multiple systems and interfaces.
- SaaS model that enables rapid time-to-value and minimal overhead when compared to traditional software models.
Use Cases for Automating Service Dependency Mapping
- Eliminating Unknowns. All too often, organizations only realize the critical role of a server when it goes down. Only real-time dependency discovery can eliminate the fog of war in today’s constantly changing datacenter.
- Reclaiming Unused Resources. The speed of implementation that virtualization brought to the datacenter is a double edged sword; new VMs can be brought online in seconds, used for a few hours and then abandoned for years. By modeling real-time application flows and integrating VMware discovery, organizations can quickly identify under-utilized resources and decommission them to make room for mission critical resources.
- CMDB Population. Virtually no organization has the time or resources to manually populate a CMDB, much less keep up with an almost constant state of change. By combining FireScope’s multi-dimensional discovery capabilities with API integrations with many popular CMDBs, your CMDB can be fully populated and remain accurate for years without effort on your part.
- Business Continuity Planning. No disaster recovery or continuity plan can be Complete if you don’t first know precisely which assets need to be covered by it. Automated dependency discovery takes the guess work out of your plans.
- Incident and Problem Management. Combining FireScope’s dependency discovery, real-time service monitoring and integrations with many popular Service Desk solutions enables organizations to radically reduce the time it takes to identify, trace and respond to issues that are impacting your business and your users.